Lecturer in “Economics of Innovation” at the University Complutense of Madrid and director of the “Institute of Industrial and Financial Analyses at the same university. Moreover he is co-director of the “Asociación Latino Ibero Americana de Gestión de la Tecnología”.
He has his degree in “Management and organization of public administration” and is a doctor in Economics with a PhD in: Evaluation of Public Finance of innovation in enterprises.
Mister Heijs works since 1990 in the area of Economics of Innovation especially on the design, analysis and evaluation of R&D and innovation policies and on the analysis and measurement of innovation systems.
He has a clear international orientation and worked for or with a large number of international organizations like the UNCTAD or the European Commission and worked for 18 months at the Fraunhofer Institute for System and Innovation Research (Germany). He collaborated in more than 50 research projects and over half of them in cooperation with foreign institutions (Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, Chile, Mexico, France or Colombia).
In the case of Spain, he worked for several national (CDTI, FECYT, DDI) and regional governments (La Rioja, Galicia and Madrid). Moreover, Mister Heijs was the Spanish expert of the Observatory of the European Area of Research (ERA-watch) publishing several Country Reports on Spain (2007-2012) and worked as an independent expert for the European Commission on the Smart Specialization Strategy of Spain.
In the field of technology transfer he participated in several national and international research projects, especially on the impact and determinants of cooperation; the “best practices” of policies to promote public-private cooperation and university-industry linkages; and the impact assessment of support for cooperative R&D.
Relevant or recent publications:
- Heijs et all (2018) Asymmetric spillovers from National Innovation Systems to knowledge creation processes in their regions. Revista de Economía Aplicada. Número 77
- Heijs and Jiménez (2012); Relaciones industria – ciencia: Importancia, conceptos básicos y factores de éxito. Chapter 6 in González, G, (2011) Desarrollo tecnológico y competitividad en la industria manufacturera. UNAM-México
- Heijs et all: (2011): Context and transferability of impact assessment: experiences and lessons from policies for science-industry relationships. Chapter 4, in CIA4OPM
- Heijs and Buesa, M. (2007). Cooperación en innovación en España y el papel de las ayudas públicas. Editor: Instituto de Estudios Fiscales.
- Buesa et al: (2015) “La eficiencia de los sistemas regionales de innovación en España y sus determinantes”, Editor FUNCAS